Affairs of car makers? Home appliances in lead rather than motor shows
Ye Jin Soo | jinye@ | 2018-05-25 11:25:11

"2017 Seoul Motor Show" exhibition held last year in KINTEX, Ilsan, Gyeonggi-do. Photo by Korea Automobile Industry Association


Car makers are becoming increasingly inclined not to participate in a typical car marketing event, the `Motor Show.` As automobile consumers` attention shifts toward future technologies such as information and communication technology (ICT), shared services, and autonomous driving applied to cars rather than the car itself and not a few automakers are stepping out of the traditional motor show. Instead, automakers are increasing their participation in electronic technology exhibitions to promote ICT convergence technologies such as the US Consumer Electronics Show (CES).

According to the automobile industry on May 24, the number of participating companies in the Seoul Motor Show is decreasing every two years. In the case of `2019 Seoul Motor Show` scheduled to be held from May 28 to June 7 next year, `EV Trend Korea 2019` hosted by the Ministry of Environment will be held in April next year. As a result, the number of automakers participating in exhibitions is expected to decline and the number of Seoul Motor Show exhibitors will decrease.

An automobile industry specialist said, "The number of companies deviating from the motor show is increasing. There is a lot of concern that the events will fall into half-events if several motor shows are opened at the same time.”
Ssangyong Motor, a domestic car maker, will also be absent for three consecutive times at the Busan Motor Show, which is opening on June 8th. In addition to Hyundai Motor and Kia Motors, the Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group is participating in the Genesis brand as a separate booth. Ford, Lincoln, Cadillac, Maserati, Bentley, Volkswagen, etc., were notified of imports.

Meanwhile, the automobile industry is keen to expand the experiential program, such as a self-driving car experience, in order to revitalize the motor show.

The number of participating companies is also decreasing at this year`s large international motor show. Volkswagen, Ford, Nissan, Volvo and others have said they will not attend the Paris Motor Show in October. Volkswagen said it would attend the Paris Motor Show in 2020 instead of skipping the Paris Motor Show, one of the world`s four major motor shows. Volkswagen has reduced its participation in the four major international motor shows, including Detroit and Frankfurt, to reduce costs after the diesel gate rattles in 2015, but this is the first time it has declared its absence. In addition to Volkswagen at the Paris Motor Show this year, Ford, Infiniti, Nissan, Volvo, and Mazda will also be absent.

Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi did not participate in the US Detroit Motor Show, which was held in January. These companies are not expected to participate in the Detroit Auto Show next year. The Detroit Auto Show is planning to change the holding period from January to October in order to increase participation in auto companies. At the Frankfurt Motor Show in September last year, Audi significantly reduced the size of its participation, and Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Nissan and Peugeot were absent.

By Ye Jin Soo jinye@


[ copyright ⓒ The Digitaltimes ]